[MiramonteTalk] Follow up Price Bids, 4thBore, StMarys

Matt Conover matt.conover at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 16:26:58 MST 2024

3rd call to 4thBore:
Natasha sent email to Jonathan after Jamila no call back, and said if he
doesn't respond she'll do it on her own, ASAP for bid this week.

I told her folks are gettingnuptihht & want to lock up a room for 40-60 ppl
so we can get a ticket price estimate.

This is high priority place to me, as it worked well for 50th, and for my
sister's Reunion.

I told her we are retirees now, and need to watch price carefully.
Especially since folks have to add travel & lodging costs, some from other
states, where kids moved to.

Also high priority to keep locus near Orinda per se, for quick access off
Hwy 24, as motels are in Diablo Valley and Berkeley-Oakland.

Moraga locus as HQ would require longer drive down Valley, or back ways,
which folks might not recall well.

Also, multiple trips for hikes etc might require going home to map oand
wash up. Hopefully not hair salons & floor length ball gowns for sit-down
dinners.

This thematic policy, if keeping it near 24 argues for Orinda picnic tables
rather than Moraga Commons Park.

I haven't been to Wilder per se, but staff said there is not much shade.
So Orinda School ball fields picnic area is best.

$1 M insurance policy price not quoted yet by my last firm, HUB
International, so I'll seek that this hour.

2. ST.MARY's
A. Still no quote from Associate Director of Conferences on venue rental of
Soda Center, or some smaller-scaled facility.

That's my 4th call to her, so maybe on vacation.

I was going to try for dorm suites, as a "conference," and sit through a
tour,  presentation or class to qualify for that, but school starts Aug 31,
so it might be too unsettled still.

I voicemailed with urgency for Ticket pricing.

B. Catering Manager:
$32/plate estimate for food only, at Soda Center, not including venue
rental price in A above.

Virtual flythrough tours of "Soda Center" show Orinda Roo., Moraga Room,"
etc. appearing long & linear, like converted siderooms, rather than the
banquet hall feel.

That is, no parallel tables. Like under a roof wing.

"Redwood grove" discussed for possible lunch site for "boxed lunch" option
looks more like a big space with one row of trees around it creating a
"space," but "lawn" looks odd. Someone please assess too.

Breakfast estimate that Kara put into her email to chefs and Conferences
director was a last second add-on, which I nixed in email back, saying
folks would eat at own motels, unless housed on-campus.

If they give a good quote on that, then that might get served at Oliver
Hall, the high-ceilinged hall with all meals buffet.

It looks like Cambridge, Oxford, etc., needing only a knight's armor
upfront.

But if students are back then it might not be available.

Much more delay from them and I'll move them to the bottom of my
recommendation list.

Campo's use of Outback Steakhouse for Sat. dinner feels too far from Orinda
though closer to motels.

Thank you, Harold, for adding links in tge spreadsheet to websites of
venues, and complexity of options & sub-options.